Sprouted from the goodness of the earth…
And inspired by our deep concern for your body’s well being, Pete’s supplements department combines all natural health and beauty products, with a passionate, experienced staff. Not sure what you may be lacking? Here’s a glance at our most commonly requested supplements.
Vitamin B12 is found in animal products and fortified soy products. Vegans may need to take a supplement.
Zinc plays a role in growth, wound healing and protection from disease.
Plant-based zinc sources
- Oat bran and wheat germ
- Soy and soy products
- Nuts and seeds such as peanuts, sesame seeds, cashews, brazil nuts, flax seed and nut and seed butters
- Whole grains and fortified cereals.
Calcium is critical for building and maintaining strong teeth and bones.
Plant-based calcium sources
- Fortified milk alternatives such as rice milk, almond milk and soy milk.
- Fortified beverages such as orange juice
- Lower amounts found in dark green vegetables such as kale, spinach, bok choy, broccoli, turnip and collard greens
Vitamin D aids in the absorption of calcium.
Plant-based vitamin D sources
- Fortified soy, almond and rice milk (check label)
- Sun exposure
*Many non-vegetarians are not getting enough vitamin D and should consider taking a supplement.
Omega-3: plays a role in heart health, as well as, brain and eye development.
Plant- based of omega-3 sources
- Ground flax seed and flax seed oil
- Canola oil
- Tofu and soybeans
*It is challenging to get enough omega-3 from the sources listed above! Most vegetarians would benefit from a supplement.
The Bottom Line
Follow Canada’s food guide and ensure variety with more focus on foods providing all the nutrients listed above. Talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian for guidance on your diet and prior to taking any supplements.