KOREAN PORK BURGER
WITH NAPA CABBAGE SLAW
A spicy, umami pork burger served with a warm Napa cabbage slaw, Gochujang mayo, kimchi, avocado and a sunny side up egg.
To build 4 burgers:
- 4 burger patties (recipe below)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 jar Cabbage Patch Kimchi
- 4 24 Carrots Sesame Seed Buns
- 4 eggs, cooked sunny side up
- Gochujang (red chili paste) mayo (recipe below)
- Napa cabbage slaw (recipe below)
For the burger:
- 1/2 cup white onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Canards du lac Brome Rendered Duck Fat
- 5 pounds ground pork
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 3 green onions, green parts only, minced
- 1 tsp Sunny Cove honey
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp red chili paste
In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tbsp duck fat and sweat off onions until translucent, add garlic and continue to cook 1 minute, allow to cool.
Mix all ingredients, including onion and garlic together, ensuring you don’t over mix but it is well combined. Divide into 4 patties, flatten and set aside.
In same skillet as before (I recommend cast iron), over medium-high heat, melt a good smear of duck fat and sear burger on each side for 2 minutes per side and finish for 4-6 minutes in a 400’F oven until cooked through (165’F internal temperature).
- 2 tbsp red chili paste
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Juice of half a lime Mix until well combined
Napa Cabbage Slaw:
- 3 cups Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Kikkoman Mirin
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp avocado or similar oil
- Salt to taste
In a pan, over medium-low heat, heat sesame and alternative oil, add and sweat Napa cabbage, pepper, onion, carrot and purple cabbage until soft but still maintains crunch. Add ginger, garlic, sweat 30 seconds more. Add remaining ingredients, toss and remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly.
To build burger:
Toast buns. Smear bottom of toasted bun with mayo, add sliced avocado, burger patty, kimchi, egg and top with slaw, finish with top of bun. Open wide, get messy and enjoy!
Recipe created by Chef Dany Duguay
CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR RECIPES
Easy Wild Blueberry Jam— Three Ways
We’re full steam ahead on Chef Dany Duguay’s breakfast bake-off train! This time, she brings us three different variations of…Read More