Summer Salsa Seared Scallops
WITH NAPA CABBAGE SLAW
Serves 2. Approx. 30 minute prep time.
Perfectly seared Digby scallops with a strawberry and white pepper salsa on a bed of peach and jalapeño preserves, served with pickled garlic scape and fresh 24 Carrots bakery Sourdough Baguette.
For Pickled Garlic Scapes:
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Half a teaspoon Chef Jayson Lynch White Hot Sauce
- One bunch garlic scapes, trimmed at end
Bring all ingredients excluding garlic scapes to a boil, add garlic scapes allowing to sit in liquid, covered, until cool, tie ends into knots.
For Peach and Jalapeño Preserves:
- 3 tbsp. Helen B’s Peach Jalapeño Jam
- Juice of half lime
- 2 tsp. water
Heat over medium heat and whisk until well combined, allow to cool slightly
For Strawberry White Pepper Salsa:
- Approx. 12 to 15 strawberries finely chopped (you will want very ripe in-season strawberries)
- 1 tsp. Cosman and Whidden honey
- Approx. 1 tsp. Chef Jayson Lynch White Hot Sauce
- Zest of one lime
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. chopped mint
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped shallots
- Pinch of freshly grated ginger
Mix together and set aside to mingle.
8 fresh Digby scallops, dried with paper towel and seasoned:
Sear scallops in a small amount of butter over medium-high heat, approx. 1.5-2 minutes per side until golden and cooked through, but not over cooked.
Smear preserves on plate, place scallops on preserves, top with salsa, garnish with lemon zest and Neeko Celtic Sea Salt. Serve with 24 Carrots bakery Sourdough Baguette and PEI Raspberry Cordial.